Victorian e-cigarette legislation and what to expect! May 04 2017
As of 1 August 2017, the laws in Victoria are changing which will see regulations around the sale, advertising and restricted places of use for e-cigarette and vaping related products.
The sale, use and possession of e-cigarette products that contain nicotine remain banned under the Victorian drugs and poisons legislation and adults can continue to purchase non-nicotine e-cigarettes from retailers and online stores, including Wick and Wire Co.
The changes in the regulations will see changes in the areas in which e-cigarettes can be used. All e-cigarettes and vape equipment will be able to be used in areas where smoking is not banned.
E-cigarettes cannot be used in smoke-free areas under the Tobacco Act 1987 including:
- enclosed workplaces
- outdoor dining areas
- within 10 metres of outdoor children’s playground equipment, skate parts and underage sporting events
- within 4 metres of entrances to, and within the grounds of, childcare centres, preschools and schools within 4 metres of entrances to public hospitals and Victorian Government buildings such as Victorian Government departments and courts
- In cars with Children under the age of 16
Wick and Wire Co has strict rules which are covered by law and we will not sell e-cigarettes, eliquid, batteries, accessories, DIY products and rebuildable mods to a person under the age of 18. This has always been our policy however we are thankful to the government for enforcing this after August 1st.
The Wick and Wire team will ask individuals and young people who look under the age of 30 for identification to ensure that we are not selling any vaping related products to individuals under the age of 18.
Changes to our vape shops include:
- Some products that are currently in sight and visible may be covered.
- E-cigarette products will not be visible from anywhere inside or outside a retail shop.
- Advertising or promotional materials relating to e-cigarette products will not be visible.
- New signage will be on display advising to customers that e-cigarette products are available for purchase at the shop.
- A price board at point of sale will be visible to inform customers about the brands and prices of products for sale.
- Customers will not be able to sample liquids, products and equipment inside the store, nor will customers be able to try your new products in enclosed spaces such as vape shops, retail outlets or in smoke-free areas.
Wick and Wire Co will be changing the way we do things over the next few months to ensure that we are in line with the retail guidelines set out by the Victorian Government. We will continue to provide the same excellent service to our customers in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere and quality products to customers.